The Upper Valley Aquatic Center (UVAC) and Norwich Solar Technologies has completed the final stages of a net-metered, 500-kilowatt solar project in Hartford, Vermont, for the benefit of UVAC, and it is now producing power. Feeding into Green Mountain Power’s electricity network, this build is projected to save the 37,500 square-foot fitness center a substantial amount on electricity annually.
The solar PV array was designed, developed, financed, engineered, constructed, and is maintained by Norwich Solar Technologies. The solar array is owned by a solar investor and the electricity provides solar net metering credits to UVAC, reducing their electric bill considerably. UVAC has the option to buy the solar array at a significantly reduced price after year six of operation.
Norwich Solar Technologies Scope
Full scope Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) including the financing, permitting, design, construction, and maintenance of this major renewable energy project in the Upper Valley. Norwich Solar Technologies played a key role in securing incentives and working with the local utility to ensure optimal production and return on investment. Norwich Solar Technologies EZ-PV MetaModule™ approach greatly improved installation efficiency while minimizing site disruption. The MetaModules also increased safety and decreased crew size while minimizing material handling and site disruption.
The solar installation will provide approximately 1,000,000 kWh each year, equivalent to carbon emissions from burning 7,400,000 lbs. of coal, 20,000 barrels of oil, or 1 million gallons of gasoline.
- EZ-PV Solar Photovoltaic system size: 731,640 Watts DC (500,000 Watts AC); 2184 solar panels; south facing at 35 degrees
- Net-metering value of estimated 30-year system generation ~$5,000,000
- Estimated CO2 equivalent avoided over 30-years of system operation ~20,000,000 lbs. CO2
- Money spent by UVAC on the solar array: $0
- Estimated savings off first-year electric bill: >$25,000
- Estimated savings over the first 20 years of contract: >$800,000
- Estimated first-year system generation 900,000 kWh
- Estimated 30-year system generation 25,000,000+ kWh
- Net-metering value of estimated first-year generation $141,000
* Estimate based on marginal emission rates for the New England regional grid as of 2011 (the most recent data available).