By Andrew McGregor
September 28, 2019
ST. JOHNSBURY —Town officials and developers will soon cut the ribbon on a solar field that promises to deliver myriad benefits to St. Johnsbury.
On Oct. 10 a ceremony will be held to commemorate the completion of a solar development behind the Green Mountain Mall in St. Johnsbury Center. The renewable energy project was developed by Norwich Solar Technologies of White River Junction. The project will deliver financial benefits to both the municipality and the school district of St. Johnsbury through the renewable energy credits.
“This project is a great example of putting unproductive land back into productive use via a renewable energy project,” said Kevin Davis, vice president of sales at Norwich Solar Technologies. The site is a former sand pit.
“I think that most people agree that we need more renewable energy projects to help reduce the damaging effects of climate change, but there is often reluctance to put them in locations that are highly visible or on land that is otherwise productive. This project eliminates both of those concerns,” said Davis.
The town and school stand to benefit because the two entities signed contracts to buy the renewable energy credits at a discounted rate, this effectively will reduce the town and school’s energy costs.
Davis estimated the town will save about $325,000 over the life of the 25-year agreement. The school will realize about $400,000 in electrical cost savings over the same amount of time.
- Energy Efficiency at Cardigan Mountain School
- Achieving a fantastic year despite the pandemic, Norwich Solar Technologies Recognized as Top U.S. Solar Installation Company for second time in a row
- Norwich Solar Engages Students Participating in The Governor’s Institute of Vermont’s Engineering Program on Local Energy Systems
- Summer Park at Hanover Renovation Features Rooftop Solar
- First-of-Its-Kind Community Solar Project Completed in Charlestown, NH